Saturday 5 May 2012

Tonight we cook .....

After 2 serious amounts of dancing on Tuesday, we decide that Wednesday would be a relaxed day which involved some laundry and then a lovely wander through the city of Darmstadt in search of some ingredients to cook our dinner. Simone is coming and together we are all going to work together to produce something typically German but with a kiwi twist :)

So Thomas accompanies us to the supermarket to buy pork fillet and salad items. Plus we need more wine - I wonder who has been drinking it all???? Meat is marinating and the chefs are thirsty. Time to head off for a walk and in search of some beer.  A lovely yeasty local beer.



After beer and a casual walk, its time to head back to cook dinner. We didnt make it back without having to stop for a 2nd beer at the gorgeous wee corner pub only 50m from Thomas' apartment. We were still there when Simone arrived!

However we did eventually make it home and then got into some serious cooking. There were vegetables being chopped, salad being constructed and meat browned prior to finishing in the oven. And hilarity with me standing on my tippy toes to reach the bench. I have never seen such a high bench before. Then the masterpiece of the night - Simone made us a typical dumpling which she learnt from her Grandmother as a wee girl. It involved fresh yeast and was relatively fast - compared to regular breads. I am not giving all the technique away - because I want to impress dinner guests with it when I get home. I now have the secret recipe :) It is just delicious!


The meat was tender, the dumpling was divine and all washed down with a beautiful German Riesling - everything was just perfect.

So we managed an earlier night - but only just!

Thursday was our last full day and Thomas was taking us exploring to Bensheim


2 comments:

  1. I hope family don't count as 'special guests' and that the recipe can be shared between us!!! Look forward to trying! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course it will be shared - once I have mastered the technique myself. I cant wait to give it a go at home. It was so lovely! Something the kids can all help with too!

    ReplyDelete